Meat Pie is an exotic snack that is made up of a pastry case with beef, Potatoes, and diced Carrots filling.
Recipe On Meat Pie
Meat Pie Filling:
- 300g of minced meat (ground beef)
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 little garlic/garlic powder(optional)
- 3 medium-sized carrots
- 2 medium-sized Irish potatoes, I added green pepper because it gives a special taste
- 1 cooking spoonful of Vegetable Oil
- Seasoning of your choice but I prefer Maggi / Knorr cubes, a teaspoon of thyme, a teaspoon of curry
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour(to make a binder)
- Cool water — 200ml(more or less)
- pinch of salt — to taste
Meat Pie Dough:
- 500 grams of Plain Flour
- 250grams Margarine/butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder (leveled)
- 3\4 teaspoon(a big pinch) of Salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Optional half cup of sugar
- about 75 ml Cool Water (or as needed to get a stiff dough)
Preparing ingredients for the Meat pie :
- Grind or mince the meat, if you haven’t done that yet.
- Chop or mince the onions and set aside
- Wash and Scrape the carrots, Peel the Irish potatoes, rinse these, Cut your green pepper, vegetables(carrot&potatoes), and cut into very tiny cubes.
Directions for making Meat Pie
- The first step is to prepare the Meat Pie Filling:
- Heat up the oil on medium heat. Then add the chopped onions and garlic (garlic is optional), stir fry a bit; add the minced meat to the pot and stir well till the minced meat loses its pink color.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pot, add the stock cube, thyme, and curry. Cover the pot and leave to boil for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the diced potatoes, carrots, salt to taste, and leave to cook until the vegetables are done.
- Then, dissolve 2 tablespoonfuls of the plain flour in half a cup of cold water.
- Mix thoroughly and add the mixture to the meat pie filling in the pot, stir well until well incorporated, put off the heat and leave to cool.
Note: This flour mixture helps to bind the filling together and retain the moisture of the meat pie filling when baking
The Second Step is to prepare the dough:
- Break an egg, beat it and set aside for later use
- Grease the oven tray that you’ll be using; Do this by rubbing a little margarine inside the tray, dust the tray with a little flour. Or use parchment paper if available. This helps to prevent meat pies from burning.
- Sieve the 500g of flour into a big bowl; add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a big pinch of salt. Mix well. You can add a half a cup of sugar if you like.
- Add the margarine or butter (you can melt the margarine, to make mixing easier) and mix thoroughly until the mixture looks more like bread crumbs. Add three eggs and vanilla essence 1 teaspoon.
- Gradually add a little water and keep on mixing until you get a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough until smooth and leave to rest for 5 minutes, then place on a lightly floured surface or fridge for 1hr.
Note: At this stage, you can Preheat the oven at 335°F or 170°C and continue with the meat pies.
Meat Pie easy steps:
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough on the table, it shouldn’t be too flat or too thick.
- With a circular shaped cutter, cut out some circles; You can make use of any clean object you have, to get your desired size. I made use of my meat pie cutter.
- Remove the excess dough, and then scoop some of the meat pie fillings and place it in the center of the circular cut dough. Don’t add a lot of filling, so that your meat pie won’t look bumpy at the top.
- Now rub the whisked egg, on the edges of the dough you are working with. In place of the egg, you can make use of flour & water mix. This will prevent the meat pie from bursting open while in the oven.
- The next step is to fold one side of the circular dough to join the other part, to form a semicircle. If you don’t have a meat pie cutter, use a fork to press the edges tightly and give the meat pie its unique design.
- When all the meat pies are folded, rub the whisked egg on the surface of the meat pies. The egg helps to give the meat pie a golden sheen.
- Place the Meat pies in the preheated oven and leave to bake for 35 minutes Or until the meat pies are lightly browned. You can check it from time to time if you are not sure of the temperature of your oven.